Community

by Jannelle M. Walker, Special to The New Tri-State Defender Among the many lessons Mae Della Frison has learned over the last 100 years is the value – and pleasure – of sharing. A birthday party held recently at Macon (Tenn.) Missionary Baptist Church Fellowship Hall provided living proof. Frison is...
Numerous new contracting opportunities in the works through city, county and quasi-governmental agencies were detailed Thursday during the 4th annual “We Mean Business Symposium and Luncheon” hosted by the City of Memphis Office of Business Diversity & Compliance. Held at the Hilton Memphis Hotel, hundreds of minority entrepreneurs were presented...
video
The Philanthropic Black Women of Memphis is proud to announce this year’s five grantee recipients as well as announcing a new grant cycle. Each grantee will receive $2,500 – 5,000 for their programs. This year’s grant awardees are: The Code Crew Pure Youth Athletic Alliance Binghampton Christian Academy ...
Shelby County’s largest investment in Pre-K, new voting machines and funding for the Memphis Area Transit Authority (MATA) are included in the $1.3 billion budget the Shelby County Board of Commissioners approved after a lengthy session Monday night. “I think there are some big impact items,” Shelby County Mayor Lee...
by Jannelle Walker, Special to The New Tri-State Defender This week, 68-year-old Loretta Griffin became the first African-American Memphian to compete in the National Senior Olympics for swimming, coming full circle from her days of doing water aerobics at the Davis YMCA in Whitehaven. The New Tri-State Defender talked to Griffin...
Mixed emotions circulated the Frayser Exchange Club on Thursday as community leaders deviated from their scheduled agenda to focused on the events that had transpired in their community less than 24 hours before. Just blocks away, 20-year-old Brandon Webber was shot and killed by U.S. Marshals, igniting protests from...
by Floyd Ivy The fatal shooting of Brandon D. Webber by U.S. Marshals on Wednesday night should not have happened and a lot of people – including myself – have a heavy heart. Brandon was a close friend of mine. A graduate of The Central High School in 2017, I knew...
It’s hard to surprise a woman like Ruth Tate, especially at the Ruth Tate Senior Center in South Memphis. For 35 years, she directed the activities, special events, bus excursions, and even a trip to Europe for senior participants. Tate is now director emeritus. Even at the age of 87,...
Education, inspiration, motivation and remembrance will be on display Saturday (June 8) at the Orange Mound Community Center when residents of Memphis and the Mid-South gather to mark National Gun Violence Awareness Day. The event is free and open to the public. It is among hundreds of gatherings nationwide to...
Putting the power back into the hands of the people. That’s always been the primary goal of the People’s Convention, according to the organizers who spent Thursday finalizing the details of one of the city’s most anticipated political gatherings. More than 1,000 people are expected to assemble at the Paradise...