Community

TSD photojournalist Gary S. Whitlow was on hand for the special moment that a third-grader found out her military mom would be home for Christmas after all! Staff Sgt. Quashaundria Williams, who had been deployed to South Korea, had been separated from her daughter, Shaumya Williams, for six months before...
The 7th Annual 100 Black Men Holiday Soiree was held at Central Station recently. Each year the organization alights upon the “newnownext” venue of the moment. So, it was no surprise that “The 100” christened the event space at one of the most recent and most exciting hotel spaces...
Many know Perry Eugene Wallace Jr. as the first African American to play basketball on scholarship in the Southeastern Conference (SEC). For me, he was a bigger-than-life extension of my family tree. Those two facts recently contributed to me being on stage at the National Civil Rights Museum for a...
Who says you can’t go home again? Before starring at Georgia Tech and playing overseas, Maurice “Moe” Miller was a prolific player at Raleigh Egypt High School, leading his team to the state basketball tournament before graduating in 2007. Miller returned to his Raleigh Egypt roots four years ago as a...
video
Memphis keeps getting shine in the media -- one of the latest being the Stax Music Academy blowing up the stage on Ellen DeGeneres' "Greatest Night of Giveaways" on NBC Thursday night. By the time it was over, one young musician had tickets to the Grammys and a scholarship to...
Gospel star Earnest Pugh’s alma mater is Millington Central High School, where he now is giving back by mentoring students in the school’s gospel choir once a month. Pugh’s mentoring sessions with the Millington Gospel Choir are set for the first Friday of each month, with the first held Dec....
When your roots extend deep into one of the nation's poorest ZIP codes (38126) and you've stepped into the role of Greater Memphis Chamber chairman, your view of Memphis takes on magnified importance throughout the city. Such is the case for Willie Gregory, Nike's director of Global Impact. Now set...
In-school screening and testing for lead will begin on Tuesday (December 10) for students and staff at Shelby County Schools where elevated lead levels have been detected in water sources. The window for in-school screenings will be open through the first quarter of 2020. Shelby County Schools (SCS) is sending parents...
When Anastasia Davis sent out hundreds of letters to Orange Mound residents to introduce herself and a proposed crematorium in their community, she had no idea of the firestorm awaiting her. “I was truly hurt,” she said. “All of these elected officials and community leaders spoke out against it. They...
Only moments after the burial of Bishop E. Lynn Brown on Saturday, the passing of  Bishop William Graves sent more shockwaves through the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Bishop Lawrence Reddick posted a statement on the CME website Saturday afternoon: “Dear CME Family, Bishop William H. Graves, the 42nd bishop of the...