The fifth annual Greater Memphis Media Scholarship Awards presentation was held at LeMoyne-Owen College on Tuesday.
“It’s about providing one of the pinnacles of social justice – education opportunities – for HBCU’s and (about) recognizing Shelby County Schools educators for excellence under incredible circumstances,” said Brian Clay, founder/CEO of Greater Memphis Media, Inc.
This year’s grants and awards totaled $2,450.
Clay detailed these scholarships and recipients:
* Greater Memphis Media, Inc/ Speaker Pro Temp Emeritus Lois DeBerry Scholarship for Journalism/ Political Science Students; $1,000, LeMoyne-Owen College;
* Greater Memphis Media, Inc./ Bernal E. Smith II Academic Achievement Award for Memphis/ Shelby County incoming Freshmen Attending HBCU’s; $500, Christian Clark, TSU;
* Greater Memphis Media, Inc./ Shelby County Schools Educator of the Year; Syreeta Williams, counselor/ Brian Ingram, principal, Dunbar Elementary; $250;
* LeMoyne-Owen College Athletics; $500, Athletic Director Clint Jackson;
* Special Award – Pandemic Scholastic Fund – National Douglass Alumni; $200.