In the Mid-South world of music events, the Left Bank Festival signals that West Memphis is proud of its music roots – and for good reason.
Set for Oct. 5, beginning at 10 a.m., the 2019 Left Bank Festival celebrates American music legend Willie Mitchell, considered by many to be the architect of the Memphis Sound. The lineup will feature the Hi Rhythm Section, Barbara Blue, Willie Cobbs and Don Bryant as special guest vocalist.
According to organizers, “West Memphis is at the root of much of the Memphis Sound and more than a just footnote to Memphis music. When Beale Street had a 10 o’clock curfew, West Memphis was wide open with juke joints, clubs, gambling halls and the Plantation Inn.”
Here is the festival lineup:
- 10 a.m. – 5k/10k race begins. Vendors open.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Music: Albert King Jr.
- 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. – Music: Kenny Brown Band.
- 3 p.m. – People’s Choice Catfish Judging (while samples last).
- 4 p.m. -5:30 p.m. – Music: A salute to Willie Mitchell featuring Hi Rhythm Section and special guests, Don Bryant and Barbara Blue.
How to get there
Attendees can walk or bike over the Big River Crossing from the Memphis side. There will be bike parking on the Left Bank.
If you drive over, take the Bridgeport Road exit from Interstate 55, turn right and follow the signs.
(For more information: https://leftbankfestival.com.)