Memphis Light, Gas and Water Division customers are receiving automated scam calls from a 1-800 telephone number requesting customers to call back and make a payment to avoid services being cut off.
MLGW never calls to demand money. While the utility mails cut-off notices to customers and uses auto-dialers alerting them that payment must be made by a certain date to avoid cutoff, customers never are asked to call a 1-800 number or buy a pre-paid debit card.
Customers who get such a call are urged to:
- Hang up;
- Never give out personal information;
- Call 901-544-6549 (residential concerns); Call 901-528-4270 (business concerns);
- Report to the police, if you have been scammed;
- Make use of Better Business Bureau online tool for reporter scams at bbb.org/scamtracker/Memphis;
- Visit any of the five MLGW community offices to speak to a credit counselor if you have problems paying your bill.
(For more information, visit mlgw.come/home/scamalerts.)