A reimagined Tom Lee Park is 80 percent complete, according to Memphis River Parks, the entity shouldering the task.
The grand opening is scheduled for Labor Day weekend.
On Tuesday (April 18), a glimpse of the work completed and what lies ahead was visible on Media Day.
Construction will halt for the Memphis in May festival, then resume to the finish line.
When the public space is complete, visitors will have access to:
- Dynamic views of the Mississippi River and sunsets
- A Monument to Listening, a new artwork by Theaster Gates
- Buckman Outdoor Classroom and river-centered curriculum
- Creatures of the Mississippi River playground
- More than 1,OOO new trees
- The architectural park centerpiece Sunset Canopy dedicated in memory of Tyre Nichols
- More than 3OO,OOO sq. ft. of native grasses and shrubs
- Elevated selection of park food and drinks